Performance Issues

So, I play on this site during work (when we have downtime- which is a lot lately).

After my FF8 issue, I quickly moved on to FF9. I made it to disc 2 without any issues… However, upon entering Cleyra (after getting slapped around by Beatrice in Burmecia) - I think there is a cutscene when you enter the area. The part enters and starts talking, then they all run into the next area… Freeze- The sound continues to play (the screen is dark, so I can’t give any other description), but it never loads. I had searched it online and found some… odd results.

I forgot to send the save from my home desktop to my account. The results online kept showing that either the physical disc was damaged (it had a chip in it)… others stated that “save states” were to blame. A listed fix was to save in game and then it would work, but I tried and had no luck. I’ll look to find the exact link.

EDIT: KingofCosmos posts an interesting fix. The issue is the same that I was experiencing.

EDIT 2: freeze issue link

• this one is a bit different, but similar in location and freezing =/

@EmuBro

I loaded some save files for FF9 before the freeze occured into our shared save games. In the save file repository, when you’re adding new titles. Under “game image” - there is no option for ff9 disc 2. I chose disc 1 or 3… but all of my saves are for disc 2 so far

@trix12345 Do you have any FF9 saves AFTER you enter Cleyra on disc 2? I haven’t even started climbing the tree, so anything after would be much appreciated sir!

EDIT: EmuBro

• I’ve tried following the instructions on King’s post… It did not work for me. All other solutions suggest its a bad image. Do you have another version of disc 2 you can upload?

EDIT 2:

• I found a FAQ involving my issue and poster Arpanet lists off some additional Q&A for common issues. His #1
  • Q: My game freezes going into Cleyra!
    A: This is caused by using savestates. Save your game with a moogle, exit, and load the game via the “continue” option at the main menu.

My issue with this is that I’m unable to “exit”. I’ve attempted a soft restart by holding down buttons that take you back to the title screen- This did not work for me. Others have stated using a “permanent save” or a memory card. I’m not sure how to use a virtual memory card or anything other than a save state, so this doesn’t mean much to me, but maybe someone on here understands it.

Possibly something helpful to supply our save repository -

ff9 saves

• These are in .mcr format- which I believe to memory card files. I’m uncertain if these can be converted or maybe reformatted to a .ggz save, but this is something that exists… and for possibly other games as well.
1 Like

HO.LEE.SHIT :angel: :poop:

I had no idea .ggz was just a gunzip archive type!

tar zxfv game-save-file.ggz and it opens up with a screenshot and a .psx file! I’m assuming if a .psx game save is from the same copy of a game, I should be able to just ggz it up and voila! :crossed_fingers:

I know what I’m trying out as soon as I’m done work!
If this works, you are a God amongst men sir @rook :bowing_man:

Well… I’ll be honest, I’m a king of troubleshooting- rather… information gathering. You name it, I’ll discover it or something similar. Like the above situation, I realize there are many different types of emulators (although I just discovered that memory card saves were a thing). I saw further that you could drag a save into a memory card folder (via ePSXe and it’ll convert to any psx emulator. My thoughts were that this was exclusive to windows emulators.

I’m coming to understand there is a large degree of information revolving around emulators- all of them being different and complex ofc.

I have no clue on the details, but you’ve managed to gain something from something I found… so power to you! lol. I’m just the cog- you be the machine!

Yeah I’m having the same problem with FF9, I get a black screen when the game is supposed to show Bahamut attacking Alexandria.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: [SOLVED] Choppy Game Play with Normal FPS

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: FF9 freezing at Bahamut attacks Alexandria (disk 3)

Let’s try making our way through v1.1 to see if that does the trick.

https://emubrowser.com/games/psx/final-fantasy-ix-v11

I added v1.1 to see if things work out. Shitty thing is we’ll have to start from scratch - https://emubrowser.com/games/psx/final-fantasy-ix-v11

So, I came here after playing Metal Gear Solid on another site - https://www.playretrogames.com/7361-metal-gear-solid

I got up to where it said to insert Disc 2, couldn’t figure out what to do, and after a lot of googling came here - https://emubrowser.com/games/psx/metal-gear-solid

I started the emulator on Disc 1 and tried uploading the last .ggz save file I’d downloaded from the other site, but although the save showed up in the Save Manager after I’d uploaded it, clicking on it did nothing, and when I unpaused the game continued to run from the beginning. I tried saving a new file, and was able to open that one from the Save Manager, but not my old one. Not sure what’s happening there.

Currently running:
Version 1.15.72 Chromium: 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 10

1 Like

Quick answer: The bad guys are using Metal Gear Solid (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.1).zip
The only way for me to switch from disc 1 to 2 was to use version 1.0. You can’t use the same game save from 1.1 on 1.0.

Oof, that’s a bummer. Thanks for explaining…

1 Like

No worries. Sorry about the bumming news :frowning:

While I got you around, I was hoping you might have some feedback with regards to our site compared to the competition? This is a rare chance for me to see what’s working and maybe what the others guys are doing better from the perspective of a frequent visitor. No worries if you don’t have the time. Thanks as always for coming back!

Alright
I’ve played metal gear solid disc 1 3 times between this site and play retro games. Never played disc 2.
How do you change the disc from 1 to 2?

1 Like

Never mind
Sorry about that

1 Like

I’m glad everything worked out!

Ok played disc 1. I don´t know how to make the file transfer from 1 to 2. I´ll bet money its on me not you or the site. I just need tutorial. Please?

Different game but the instructions are the same - How to Switch PS1 Discs | EmuBrowser - YouTube