FF9 freezing at Bahamut attacks Alexandria (disk 3)

Users on the other thread are listing the same issue - I’d move them to this one as the issues are the same. Strangely, I wonder why this worked 12D ago, but is glitching for others now. Side note: Since he made it past the bahamut part, have him load that save state so others can skip it if they’re getting stuck.

Lastly - Could you try changing out disc 2 for FF9 so I can try to make it past my Cleyra freeze?

from everything I read… this is a save state issue. I have no clue how to work around it. The only thing I could think of would be to get someone else’s save state or play the game from scratch without exiting or use save states. Even on this … cross your fingers.

Do you have a save state for disc 2 - I’m stuck on entering Cleyra, I’d like to see if I can make it farther and possibly do it w/out closing my browser.

Bahamut cutscene and the tree are very popular freezing points. I believe Amarant scene froze on the actual discs when it came out

I had experienced the slow/skipping/choppy-like play before. Having a desktop that I built to hack a satellite or something, I can say that the issue isn’t on client-side. Some games play better on different browsers- you said you play on Chrome, which is the correct way to go for everything apart from N64 games. So let’s get to an answer if we can with some steps and logic- (if any of this brings an idea to you, maybe it’ll work out into a fix)

1st - I can play it smoothly: the issue is specific to you, which is the good news as we can narrow it down and be more likely to find a solution.
2nd - Assuming its specific to you, and you were able to play it 4 months ago… What has changed since then?
3rd - Check your update history. Drivers, Chrome, Plug-ins, Add-ons.
4th - Have you installed any new software, firewall, browser gizmos, etc?
5th - Attempt rollbacks on drivers, reinstall Chrome, reinstall an older version of Chrome.
6th - Try to use the site on different browsers. Waterfox (this one bugged on me), IE, Opera, others.

Last: do you have any FF9 save states from disc 2 after Cleyra? That’s where I’m stuck due to a glitch =/

1 Like

I do have a disk 2 save right at the end or before the final scene at the tree, but how do i share it on here?

1 Like

So the issue was a save file issue, by going back to disc 2 creating a new file going into disc 3 and then playing up till the bahamut attacks alexandria scene it managed to work.

Thanks! Another user was able to upload it right into a reply so that would work. The website also has the option of sharing it with other members here.

Thanks again for helping out!
:canada::beers::video_game:

3 posts were split to a new topic: [SOLVED] Choppy Game Play with High Frame Rate

Well it appears I was correct in the freeze issue being a save state-related problem. This apparently happens at least 3 times. Bahamut and Iifa tree are the most common scenes. thanks for the feedback @Kyurem77 !

@Kyurem77 - will you upload your save state AFTER the bahamut scene as well? It would help to be able to skip it when I get to that part

yeah I did, i didn’t name my saves after i downloaded them, but i believe the one i uploaded for disc 2 is around lifa tree and the one I uploaded for disc 3 is around lindblum, let me know if I uploaded the wrong save or if you want a different save.

i’m stuck right where you enter cleyra. The first screen you walk in, then the next area is the little scene where it shows the big tree… ya, i don’t get to see the big tree =/

I uploaded a save way past cleyra, but i can try and find a save past that, but i don’t have my saves labelled so it may be hard to find. Do you have a save on disk 1 cause cleyra is at the beginning of disk 2. You can try to go back to a burmecia save at the end of disk 1 and then create a new save going into disk 2, it worked with the bahamut scene for me.

I had one but I deleted it when I started working from home. All of my files wouldn’t fit on my work drive =/. i did see your one save that’s pretty far beyond my spot. I’m just looking for something that’s actually inside cleyra if possible. If not then close to it lol.

I don’t keep mine labeled either, I just keep uploading my save states and find where I want to start.

okay, its official. I’ve played back to Cleyra using only the in-game save method. The only save state used was between discs 1 and 2. My screen still goes blank after the conversation leading into cleyra’s trunk

1 Like

Thanks for putting in the work, @rook .

It looks as though it’s an in-game bug since it’s been reported online using traditional PC emulators like PCSX, ePSXe etc.

@Kyurem77 - Were you able to get past this part? If so, can you provide a game save so I can share it with those just looking to get past that part. It’d be much obliged :slight_smile:

If I were to report on this issue as a whole…

• It shares similarities with other very common ‘blank-screen’ bugs.
    • Its hard to label it as a “freeze” because that implies that the player is at fault, which is not the case
  • Although similar, its almost rare given the amount of time investigating online.
    • While the Bahamut and Iifa Tree are the highest reported issues, they have a ‘fix’
    • Through personal testing. This issue was not fixed for myself.

I have a few ideas that may get around this bug. Basic troubleshooting work.

• Maybe the fixes that worked for Bahamut bug could work on the Cleyra bug as well.
    • Though I personally ran from a disc 1 save all the way to disc 2 Cleyra, there could have been flaws on my end.
      • The main possibility being that my save used from disc 1 was corrupted to begin with.

Given that the bugs are caused due to save states, and fixed by using the in-game save method throughout the disc… The save states I have made could have been compromised from the start.

• If anyone has a disc 1 save state (hopefully at the end of the disc), I can launch and try to rework my way to the same place.
    • Of course, if it fails again… I will likely hang myself from having to run through this for the 12th time.

Another possibilty… I could be failing in some other manner. I will load my disc 1 transition to disc 2 and a save state for one place behind that screen. It will be before the Beatrix fight (Survive like 10 turns, and the fight is over). Once the fight is done, there is some talking followed by the change to disc 2.

EDIT: One additional detail that I have noticed.
According to my save states downloaded title - Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.0) (15) … We do not have a v1.0 game image in the save repository game list. The closest description for the game image is Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.1).png (508). There is not a disc 2 image present either

Following up further on the links you listed emu- I noticed that there was mention of repetitive save states being used. I saw that and it dawned on me that I am a habitual save state abuser. Well, I have been with previous games mostly due to the fact that I’m at work and never sure when I’ll have to close out - no one enjoys losing progress. With this thought in mind… its safe to say that if multi-save states are an issue or a cause of the above issues- All of my save states are invalid, and not possible to progress beyond this point of the game with.

This is hypothetical as multiple save states are not listed as a cause anywhere else other than the link you posted.

@EmuBro I’ve uploaded a save around Lindblum after the bahamut scene I believe. I don’t label my saves so check to make sure it’s past the scene and if it isn’t I’ll try and upload another file

1 Like

Thanks @Kyurem77.

@rook - Here’s the save state file if you were interested in checking it out: final-fantasy-9-3 (Kyurem77).ggz (2.4 MB)

Thank you both for your help contributing to a solution.

Here’s a save file from the end of disc 1: Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.0)-end-of-disc-1.ggz (2.1 MB)

Alright. Let me see if this disc 1 end game save works past the issue. If I’m successful, this will be a new, detailed explanation for the majority of the bugs that other’s online are shrugging off.

@EmuBro - here’s an odd question… is there any reason behind the save state name (the v1.0) being different than the game image (v1.1)? In other words, we’re using v1.1 of the game. The save states are being saved as v1.0… not sure if this even matters, but its odd. In my head, it seems to be something that could factor in a lot of issues -

EDIT: I should probably mention that we have branched off from the topics title. We are no longer discussing only the freeze at the Bahamut attack on Alex, but the root cause of them all.

I have a ton of images on my PC for games. The one I uploaded to rep the FF9 game cover had a file name with v1.1 in it. Game cover images don’t vary from what I can tell depending on the game version so I never bothered changing it. It can be disregarded

Feel free to create a new topic if you’d like and I’ll move any related threads over to it.

Cheers!